Characteristics of a Good Leader
- Set standards, but allow flexibility for team members to exercise their strengths.
- Emphasize delegation and collaboration.
- Be accessible, but maintain discipline.
- Be decisive, but make the decisions after you understand the situation. Recognize that one of your team members may know more than you do—don't be afraid to ask questions.
- Make the tough decisions, but be humane and fair. Leaders lead. They don't hide from responsibility.
- Simplicity is almost always better than complexity.
- Develop a healthy respect for Murphy's Law. If something can go wrong, have a way to recover from it.
- Establish reliable, repeatable processes. Good processes help your team do jobs consistently and well. Then look for ways to improve those processes.
- Challenge the status quo and look for ways to improve the environment.